[Mldonkey-users] How do you get 2.03? Easy.

From: Brett Dikeman
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] How do you get 2.03? Easy.
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:40:20 -0500

At 1:54 PM +0100 3/10/03, MLdonkey wrote:

The problem is that savannah has forbidden the access to mldonkey
download area, so we are not even allowed to put the binaries
online. I don't know how they want us to release a new version if they
don't help us a little...

Stand back folks, I'm about to engage in some serious rocket science here.

ed2k://|file|unofficial-mldonkey2.03-20030311.src.tar.bz2|1522119|c83300cb2e8ca88a379cf6bd162cea2a|

I've specifically tagged the filename with "unofficial" since a)I pulled it from a mirror b)I have no MD5sum to verify the archive integrity against c)I'm not a developer.

I make -no- guarantees as to the integrity of this tarball.

To head off the predictable "that won't work for new users who don't have mldonkey" reply- no kidding. But it will work for all the people who have any of the previous versions installed and running- or any other edonkey/overnet client for that matter.

If you're serious about getting a new version out, build all the various static and dynamically-linked versions for all the various platforms, and then put up ed2k links on the download page at Savannah and post to the mailing list. I'll certainly contribute my bandwidth- the archives are pretty small, which makes them easy to share. Please include MD5's(PGP signing would be even better) as well, so people can easily verify archives.

To head off "that's silly, nobody would ever trojan an open-source software tarball" - WRONG. Just ask the tcpdump/libpcap team. Someone broke into their distro site and modified the archives, added a nice little trojan/worm...nobody noticed for quite some time.