Re: [Mldonkey-users] MLDonkey & Debian ( Trying to do an Official Packag

From: Christian Brandt
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] MLDonkey & Debian ( Trying to do an Official Package)
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 22:41:37 +0200

Am Donnerstag 29 Mai 2003 18:18 schrieben Sie:

> Even, if it was the best program i ever see or the most secured and
> reviewed code, i would also try to make it run in a chroot. Why ?
>
> Because, it is just an extra guaranty. It is not about code or quality,
> it is just about guaranty ( in fact with mldonlkey you have write access
> to certain part of the fs. It is unsafe to let this fs be as wide as
> anyone want ).

 I agree and want to add that mldonkey is imho the most complex
P2P-Software around. This fact alone justifies chroot, no mater if it is
written in assembler, C, Ocaml, Java or imprinted on the skull of a dragon.

 Chroot also doesn't cost much if you already are using a statically linked
mldonkey. And running chroot stops all versions from loading this and that
lib which isn't supposed to load.

 I am running a chrooted and staticly linked version of mldonkey happily
for some months. There are no drawbacks. 14MB memory, 2-3 Percent
CPU-Usage. Before I was running several linked versions which ate as much
memory as available, used ten times more CPU and crashed every three days.
Maybe this has nothing to do with each other. But I stopped thinking about
that long ago.

--
Christian Brandt

 life is short and in most cases it ends with death
 but my tombstone will carry the hiscore