Re: [Mldonkey-users] ed2k hash question

From: Lionel Bouton
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] ed2k hash question
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:48:23 +0100

John Blitch wrote the following on 12/12/04 11:01 :

Hello!

I've been searching the internet, trying to find out why "openssl dgst
-md4" doesn't give a hash that matches that of a file's ed2k URL. My
only lead is from this mailing list:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/mldonkey-users/2002-12/msg00222.html

But I can't find the referenced message in the archives. My output
from "openssl dgst -md4" has never matched that of "ed2k_hash", and I
can't figure out why. It's probably something obvious, but any help
would be greatly appreciated.

IIRC the hash is actually the MD4 hash of the MD4 hashes of each segment of the file. The file is splitted into segments of a fixed size, the MD4 has is computed for each one, the resulting hashes are put in a single string in the order corresponding to the segments' order in the file and the string md4 hash is the ed2k hash.

Don't remember the exact segment size, should be around 7 or 9 MB.