[Mldonkey-users] [patch #4479] Callback mechanism for low ID users does

From: Dirk Tilger
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] [patch #4479] Callback mechanism for low ID users does not work.
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:36:56 +0000

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open

Details:

This patch is related to patch #3672 and the discussion
http://mldonkey.berlios.de/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3159

The main problem is that most peers will recognize a client that called back
not just by the (Low) ID, but also from the server the client is connected
to. When the server IP/port is wrong (or 0.0.0.0:0) most clients will expect
the peer to initiate some "give me this chunk" or "tell me what files you
have" requests. Since mldonkey does not issue such a thing, because it was
just asked to call back, the connection will sit idle for some time and be
closed after three tries or so.

At the time with the patch mentioned in the beginning the issue worked, but
it got broken again and this patch claims to repair it. I've been using it
since release-2-6-1 until release-2-6-3. I forgot to submit my patch, but it
proved to work for my low-id configuration.

However, sometimes, especially when I have no files to download I do not
receive callbacks at all. It is suggested to apply this patch in a testing
mldonkey for a week on a non-low id connection before including it in a
stable release, to avoid side effects similar to the thread mentioned above.
I can't test high-ID at all.

Dirk.

Carbon-Copy List:

CC Address                          | Comment
miriup                              |

File Attachments:

Date: Fri 09/30/05 at 11:36  Name: diff  Size: 824B   By: miriup
Reactivating submission of server IP and port during client handshake in
edonkey
<http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/download.php?item_id=4479&item_file_id=5265>

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?func=detailitem&item_id=4479>

  Message sent via/by Savannah