[Mldonkey-users] GuiProtocol polling; Enable DefinedSearch + SearchResul

From: Sebastian Sauer
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] GuiProtocol polling; Enable DefinedSearch + SearchResult
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 05:00:04 +0100

Aloha,

I am developer and the maintainer of KMLDonkey. Just recently I finished the port to QML and published a version for the N9 (MeeGo) which should appear within next days at the Nokia-store.

Currently KMLDonkey does not use polling but as you can imagine polling enables a whole new world of possible optimizations to get down the traffic. That is especially useful when KMLDonkey is run at a mobile like the N9 and connects with MLNet/MLDonkey over the internet (traffic can be expensive and slow). Using polling I was able to add optimizations like only updating the downloading/downloaded files if the list that is displaying them is visible, not fetch server- or filesource-infos if not needed and other things.

But there is one show-stopper which prevents me from enabling those features. When polling is enabled it's not possible any longer to receive http://mldonkey.sourceforge.net/GuiDefineSearches and http://mldonkey.sourceforge.net/GuiResultInfo from MLNet/MLDonkey. I can work around missing GuiDefineSearches by just adding some pre-defined search-query-definitions to the client-lib but I cannot work around missing ResultInfo's. Without them the user would not be able any longer to start new searches and view the search-results or view the search-results of remembered searches :-/

Are you maybe aware of a way to work around that ResultInfo-problem? Is it maybe possible to add a new ToCore-message to fetch the ResultInfo's for a search? Should I create a bug/task at the tracker for that?

Thanks in advance for any answer :)

best regards
Sebastian