Re: FreeBSD and monit status

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: FreeBSD and monit status
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:22:10 +0200 (CEST)

On 11 Sep 2002, Rory Toma wrote:

> It now mostly works.

Great. (-:

> I am getting the following error:
>
> bash-2.05a# monit status
> monit: No programs have been specified
>
> Whenever I try using the command line monit client. I can look at this
> tomorrow.

> However, I found under Linux:
> address@hidden make]# monit status
> monit daemon uptime:
> Cannot connect to the monit server to get extended process data.
> Process 'sshd' is running with pid [1669] Uptime: 15m

Strange my machine (Debian, testing, Sparc) works fine. )-:  Just
compiled it.

> I can work on the FreeBSD issue, since I have a FreeBSD box, but can
> someone look at the Linux issue?

Can you connect to the web interface in Linux?  What does "monit -v
status" say?

Something else... we should make sure in configure.ac that we don't
link against libkvm when we use Solaris.  Maybe we should put the
libkwm test in a uname check... not nice but I don't know if autoconf
provides any OS check itself.

.... Intermission.....

And now for something completely different... I asked before if we
should include a check for the permissions of the monitrc file.  IMO
monit must not start if the permissions are not 0600, 0400, 0500.
Opinions?

Maybe we should think about a different way of saving the password.
We could use the htpasswd program of apache or we directly store it in
monit as md5, et al, like this

set httpd port 2812
        allow admin:md5:6af286f0509e7c166abf710850f44fc4
        allow foo:nis:monituser
        allow foo:htpasswd:/opt/monit/htpasswd

in general

allow user:[mechanism:data|cleartext_passwd]

with mechanism is a flavor of:

 * cleartext -> data is password
 * md5 -> md5sum of password
 * nis, sys... I mean getpw(uid,buf) -> data is user name or uid
 * htpasswd -> use a apache htpasswd file where data is htpasswd file
   name

Just for security purpose.

We have kinda trouble with grid and net these days.  There is heavy
maintenance work on it.  I was happy to be able to connect to cvs now.

C.Hopp

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113