4.0

From: rory
Subject: 4.0
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:50:42 -0700 (PDT)

monit-general is bouncing this, so...

> Absolutely, lets say that the next release, that is 3.1 include item 2
> and 3 from this list: http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/next.html. That
> is, dependencies and SSL, these are pratically finnished I think ?

As far as I know. The only thing I think is that I need to track down
what looks like a bug in the "uptime" of a process that we report. I have
seen now bogus uptimes for processes on 2 of my machines.

> For the next major release (4.0?) we have
>
> 1) Central configuration (Martin)
> 2) Monitoring filesystems ++ (Rory + hauk)
> 3) Web-services (instead of SNMP)
> 4) Start work on a GTK or http/browser application for reporting status
>    (Should we do GTK or web for the client? Personally I would like to
>     play around a bit with GTK but web is probably easier)

I vote for browser based, as it would be easier to have it running on all
the platforms we support - Solaris, Linux and FreeBSD.
I would also add for release 4.0 that we add MacOS 10.2 support, and we
can make a fink package for it. I found an example of code that uses kvm
stuff for Mac OS X (top from www.opendarwin.org) so I should be able to
get this working by release 4.0.