additional feature for monit-3.0 (for clusters)

From: Oliver Jehle
Subject: additional feature for monit-3.0 (for clusters)
Date: 22 Oct 2002 15:23:11 +0200

when using heartbeat and groups in monit, i've missed following feature.

monit should only monitor manualy started resources . and after stopping
it, monit should stop monitor it.

so i've implemented a third input value for the autostart "started". now
monit monitors a resource only, if you start it with "monit start"...

why that... see below.... it's my config for hearbeat with monit

on every node

/etc/inittab    starts monit
/etc/rc3.d/     script execute "monit start heartbeat"
/etc/init.d/    monit-node1     "monit -g node1 start"
/etc/init.d/    monit-node2     "monit -g node2 start"

so hearbeat can control easy the cluster state and if one node fails,
hearbeat starts monit-xxxx of the failing node and  monit is instructed
to start the services of the failing-node and monitor them...

--
Oliver Jehle
Monex AG

Tel: +423 388 1988
Fax: +423 388 1980

----
I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere.
----