Re: FYI - release plan

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: FYI - release plan
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 12:34:22 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Martin Pala wrote:

> There's yet the bug regarded to load status on multiple CPU machines (it
> shows load as number_of_cpu*load). I saw it on solaris 8 (sparc) but it
> could be problem on other systems as well.

Mmmh, the CPU load is the cpu load of the process and all it's child
processes.  Of course one process it self can't go beyond 100% but
with all it's children it can go up to number_of_cpu*load.

My idea of 100% _CPU_ load is, one process occupies one _CPU_
completely.  So if a process and a child does take each a full CPU I
would see it as 200% _CPU_ load -> If the system has two CPUs in
total that would make 100% _SYSTEM_ load.

Why do I want this... I don't want to find out how many processors a
system has.  Linux would be easy.  But the first difficulty it
Solaris... last and definitely least FreeBSD.

Compromise solution: set numcpus = [n]
If omitted numcpus is 1.  What do you think.

Grrr... I just have looked into Google "sysconf(_SC_NPROCESSORS_ONLN)"
gives me the number of CPUs which are online.  For Solaris it should
work, for Linux it might, for FreeBSD I don't know. (-:

Do you want always 100% as max?

C.Hopp

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113