Re: additional feature for monit-3.0 (for clusters)

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: additional feature for monit-3.0 (for clusters)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:47:50 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Oliver Jehle" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 9:57 AM

> with this change (and my changes) and hearbeat, i think we have to
> possibility to build clusters with the
> same functionality like tru-cluster (HP/Compaq) or SUN with the
Sun-Cluster
> software... they offer perhaps
> some enhancement like auto-take-over of disks and filesystems, but it's a
> small script to import a vg and mount
> a filesystem...

It will lack some features of mentioned cluster solutions (such as
trucluster, suncluster, etc.) - one of biggest issues will be
split-brain-problem. It is often managed by quorum (majority princip) and
this feature monit+heartbeat based cluster will not have. I thing it will
not be big problem, while this simple cluster can have its place
(non-critical apps) - in the case of mentioned special case problems oprator
can simply repaire such state. When the user will more robust solution,
he/she can use some other free solutions such as SSI, kimberlite, etc.

Martin