RE: FW: Monit for HP/UX

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: RE: FW: Monit for HP/UX
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:01:08 +0100

[Makefile]
> > There is something better for that... I have seen somewhere that the make-
> > file gives a reasonable error message if it is not called via GNU make.  I
> > don't remember anymore which one it was.  But it couldNt be difficult.
> >

> Our real Makefile is call GNUmakefile and the Makefile has just an error
> message that you have to use GNU make, cuz let me cite "If no -f option is
> present, make will  look for the makefiles GNUmakefile, makefile, and
> Makefile, in that order."
>
> And if no GNUmakefile is found we can give the user the choice of starting
> configure for him/her.

I didn't know that about GNU make, interesting, so I looked it up as well:

MAKE(1L)               LOCAL USER COMMANDS               MAKE(1L)

       Normally  you should call your makefile either makefile or
       Makefile.   (We  recommend  Makefile  because  it  appears
       prominently  near  the  beginning  of a directory listing,
       right near other important files  such  as  README.)   The
       first  name  checked,  GNUmakefile, is not recommended for
       most makefiles.  You should use this name if  you  have  a
       makefile  that  is  specific  to GNU make, and will not be
       understood by other versions of make.

Even though we are part of the exception; "use this name if  you  have  a
makefile  that  is  specific  to GNU make".

I have to say that I really like the name "Makefile" for a makefile and I don't
think I have seen another project use the name GNUmakefile. But it's a smart
suggestion which will fix the problem but again the name GNUmakefile.. ughaa!
Hmm...

:-)