Re: monitoring status patch (Oliver's patch from 3.2.2003)

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: monitoring status patch (Oliver's patch from 3.2.2003)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:55:42 +0100

Oliver Jehle wrote:

so i dont have to monit start process to re-monitor a always running
process after a monit restart ???

Sure :) Its your patch that does it.

i think that the statefull configuration reload should be backed by a
file where the state of monitoring is written and read from after a
restart......
I agree - we discussed it some time ago with the same result. I think we can use XML file (it is suitable for such purposes), but we didn't made final decision about implementation.

For the purpose of external configuration sources (like LDAP or other DB) it will cache configuration as well, so in the case where it won't be possible to contact the configuration server the last successfully fetched configuration version could be used.

example:

if monit starts/reload -> check if state-file exists and if process running, set the state
                                    from file

if monit starts/stop process    ->  write actual state to file
if monit stops normally         ->  delete state file

the state file should contain the boot-time of the server. if the boot
time is > the boot time in the state file, then there was a server -
crash.... and start as normal startup....

Good suggestions :)