Re: problem with start/stop arguments

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: problem with start/stop arguments
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:54:52 +0200

Hi,

thanks for your time and sorry for my headlong mail. I didn't analysed the problem nor looked to the code - i though that the command is reported in complete form (i think it was in the past), so i figured out that the problem is caused by parser. It seems that the problem is in other place (probably rc scripts) - i'll look on it :)

Cheers,
Martin

P.S. What about to print complete form of start/stop commands? I think it is more clear form, i can prepare it.

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

Ps. If your are thinking about the output when you use debug mode
(i.e. monit -v) and that the argument does not show up in the start
program it's simply because only the command is printed, not the
arguments :-) Check out util.c:printprocess:

   printf(" %-20s = %s\n", "Start program", is_str_defined(p->start->arg[0]));

Martin Pala <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,current monit CVS version has problem with start/stop program
arguments (i found it durring new device monitoring task tests but it
is not related to it).

Example configuration:

check slapd with pidfile /var/run/sshd.pid
start program = "/etc/init.d/ldap start"
stop program = "/etc/init.d/ldap stop"
port 389 protocol ldap3
alert address@hidden

Result:

Process Name          = slapd
Group                = (not defined)
Pid file             = /var/run/sshd.pid
Monitoring mode      = active
Start program        = /etc/init.d/ldap
Stop program         = /etc/init.d/ldap
Host:Port            = localhost:389 [protocol LDAP3]
Resource Limits      = (not defined)
Every                = (not defined)
Timeout              = (not defined)
Alert mail to        = address@hidden
  alert from         = (default)
  alert subject      = (default)
  alert message      = (default)
  alert on timeout   = yes
  alert on restart   = yes
  alert on checksum  = yes
  alert on resource  = yes
  alert on stop      = yes
  alert on timestamp = yes

Trying to restart 'slapd'
Monitoring disabled -- process slapd
stop: (slapd) /etc/init.d/ldap
monit: Warning process 'slapd' was not stopped

As you can see, monit takes only one argument in start/stop program
and the rest is ignored. Next example which i tried was related to
device stuff (the same result):

stop program = "/bin/umount /data"

I'm busy until friday and i will try to finalize device/file/directory
monitoring as soon as possible. If nobody will have time to look on
it, i will fix it then.

Cheers,
Martin