FYI: 4.0 release status

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: FYI: 4.0 release status
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 11:19:07 +0200

With Martins and mine latest patch checkin I think we are finished¹
with the feature part of the TODO list for the 4.0 release. The
actions remaining before a 4.0 release are²:

1) Port and test on various platforms.
   -----------------------------------
   The major work left now is to port the code to the various
   plattforms. This is Rory's domain since he has the hardware :) I
   hope you, Rory, may test and port a FreeBSD version and other
   versions if you have time? Since Martin and Christan have access to
   Solaris I guess that you have already tested and will test for
   Solaris. Unfortunately I cannot contribute with porting since I
   only have access to Linux at the moment :-( But I will certainly
   contribute with testing.

   Responsible: Rory, (Martin and Christian) (hauk)

2) Finalize documentation.
   Walk through (QA) the documentation files; monitrc, CHANGES.txt,
   monit.pod, UPGRADE.txt and README and prepare for the release.

   Note; In the documentation I now stress the IF <statement> THEN
   action style, and only use this style. Although IF and THEN are
   noise keywords and statements could be written as <statement>
   ACTION I think it is important to stress the IF .. THEN style for
   writing statements because it is familiar and makes statements
   easier to understand and better looking, besides it makes it easy
   to categorizes a set of testing statements as if-tests.

   Responsible: hauk + all

3) Prepare and release
   -------------------
   QA everything, tag the release and notify the monit-general list,
   freshmeat.net and address@hidden RPM and Solaris PKG should be
   created after the release and uploaded to savannah.gnu.org.

   Responsible: hauk, QA, CVS tagging, monit.tar.gz and notification
   Responsible: Christian, Solaris PKG ?
   Responsible: Rory, RPM and upload to savannah?

3) Anything missing?
   -----------------

   Responsible: All

Ps. It is fun to work with monit again and I think the upcomming 4.0
release will be a very fine product indeed and with lots of fancy and
useful features, and with many bugfixes and with a much improved code
base. (It's not perfect yet, but we are absolutely heading in the
right direction :)

¹ Did you add the uid/gid stuff you wanted Martin or does this remain?
² Everyone, please remember to do a "cvs update -d ." before you start

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland