Status 4.0

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Status 4.0
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:22:41 +0200

Seems like the gnu mail server was hit hard by the latest virus and
worm attacks. I could not send this mail on friday but I'll try again
today.

With the latest status from Rory on the porting front, where he got
monit to run on FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and MacOS X (w/o ssl) I think it is
realistic to aim for a release this week. What do others think?

The following is an overview of the todo list before a release AFAIK.

0) Wrap up any remaining port issues
   ---------------------------------
   If Rory finds serious problems after more testing, it may be a
   showstopper, otherwise it's not.

   Responsible: rory

1) Fix line-number problems in the lexer
   -------------------------------------
   The sub-condition for the depend statement in the lexer must be
   rewritten so it count line numbers correctly.

   Responsible: hauk (or maybe Christian?)

2) Finalize documentation.
   Walk through (QA) the documentation files; monitrc, CHANGES.txt,
   monit.pod, UPGRADE.txt and README and prepare for the release.

   Responsible: hauk + all

3) Prepare and release
   -------------------
   QA everything, tag the release and notify the monit-general list,
   freshmeat.net and address@hidden RPM and Solaris PKG should be
   created after the release and uploaded to savannah.gnu.org.

   Responsible: hauk, QA, CVS tagging, monit.tar.gz and notification
   Responsible: Christian, Solaris PKG ?
   Responsible: Rory, RPM and upload to savannah?

Proposal:

 - A new release should not include automatic html doc. generated with
   doxygen. The html doc. adds lots of weight to the tar.gz file and I
   suspect hardly anyone reads it.

FYI:

I have worked with a presentation for monit this week, the purpose is
twofold, 1) Provide and overview and introduction to monit 2) provide
the presentation as a web-introduction for monit.

I have exported the presentation as a set of slides for the web which
can be linked from the monit homepage. To see a preview point your
browser to:

       http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/presentation/index.html

The presentation is a draft and it's not finished and I VERY MUCH WANT
FEEDBACK FROM YOU ON IT. Please use open office to read the
presentation in CVS: monit/doc/presentation.sxi.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland