Re: Status 4.0

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Status 4.0
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:58:53 +0200

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

Martin Pala <address@hidden> writes:

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

I have worked with a presentation for monit this week
*
I looked on the presentation, i think it is very good. Maybe we can
show more monit's power, but we should keep it as simple as possible.

I agree, more tips & trics and showoff of monit would be good. I'm
cleaning it up right now, and I will check it in later this evening.
Please, check it out afterwards and add new stuff or suggest stuff and
I can add it.

I think it could be usefull to show examples (snapshot of monit web interface or console output) of all four monitoring service classes (device example is missing) and probably show the console interaction.

I think we should release 4.0 only after extensive tests - i have
problem with time this week, but i will try to do as much as
possible.

Well, we could release a beta this week (when the doc. is ready) to
the monit-general list^(1) and if all goes well release monit 4.0 next
week?

^(1)Previous beta releases to monit-general was not a sucess (0 user
downloads), but we could try again.

I think it is not needed to release public beta - in the case that we agree that the code is complete, we can do private beta (freeze the code) and test it for example for one week. If we will find some bugs, we will fix it and repeat beta testing with new candidate. As soon as there will not be any urgent issue (we can build TODO list of non-urgent issues), we can decide whether to release or not. Just my 2 cents ... maybe this is too expensive for us (we all are busy of some other work too).

Martin