Re: How to monitor service start/restart/stop?

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: How to monitor service start/restart/stop?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 19:52:54 +0200

Michael Shigorin wrote:
On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 06:45:01PM -0700, Stanley Lee wrote:

So far I'm not successful since the TEST options doesn't
include testing for a service start, stop, crash or restart
situation.

Yeah, being able to jump into these "slots" would be extremely
nice.

PS: I'm thinking over getting hddtemp integration but there's
some doubt whether it makes sense in face of smartmontools.

Monit is testing for service health. Any error condition has associated appropriate event type. One of tests is "existence" test, which equals to "crash" event in the case of process under exclusive monit's control.

Start, stop and restart are just actions evaluated by monit - it makes no sense to test for it - they are connected to the event. Monit reports the <event> and <action> in progress together.

In the case that the service is not controled by monit, you need to manage its start/stop/restart events outside of monit. In such case Monit only knows that the service is running or not running - the reason why it for example doesn't exist is not available to monit (was it externaly stopped or crashed?)

Martin