Re: Process Resource Update

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Process Resource Update
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:51:19 +0200

Works well :) What about to add it to cvs?

It seems that monit reports the memory usage excluding cache related regions. The difference is quite significant (ca. 250MB)- i have 512MB RAM:

- monit reports ca. 135000 kB memory usage

- top, free and vmstat reports 382052 kB usage (of which ca. 135000 kB is related to programs and the rest is cache + buffers):

--8<--
unicorn:~/cvs/monit-proc# free
Mem:        517268     379800     137468          0      15568     229016
-/+ buffers/cache:     135216     382052
--8<--

For memory sizing, it is important to know the real memory usage as monit reports now plus to know the buffer+cache portion too.

Thus - could be possible to report total memory usage with caches + buffers too? It could be probably good to use the "free's" output i.e. to report:
- total memory usage and
- memory usage without buffers and cache

Following statistic was catched later then above example (thus the numbers are different). It is possible to see that free, top and vmstat reports:

- MemTotal-MemFree ... as total memory usage
- MemTotal-MemFree-Buffers-Cached ... as memory usage without buffers and cache

unicorn:~/cvs/monit-proc# cat /proc/meminfo && free
(... memstat output:)
MemTotal:       517268 kB
MemFree:          5120 kB
Buffers:         26644 kB
Cached:         294828 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:         334888 kB
Inactive:       139624 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:       517268 kB
LowFree:          5120 kB
SwapTotal:     1052216 kB
SwapFree:      1052216 kB
Dirty:           49532 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
Mapped:         207584 kB
Slab:            29288 kB
Committed_AS:   361592 kB
PageTables:       1388 kB
VmallocTotal:   516020 kB
VmallocUsed:     21700 kB
VmallocChunk:   492896 kB

(... free output:)
Mem:        517268     512148       5120          0      26644     294828
-/+ buffers/cache:     190676     326592
Swap:      1052216          0    1052216

Martin