Re: Some ideas...

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Some ideas...
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:09:21 +0100

On Nov 24, 2004, at 10:40 AM, Christian Hopp wrote:

* We should intergrate the debian package building patches into the
  monit tree.  First of all its easier for Debian users to use new
  monit releases.  And it might make it easier for the package
  maintainer to make new packages.

+1 But who will do it :)

* This one might sound a bit esoteric but it might be useful.  The
  syntax for "check process" only supports pidfiles right now.  Mostly
  it is enough but some braindead daemon dont write pid files and some
  rc scripts are not writing them in some distros.  Well one could
  modify the rc script but it is being overwritten or changed when you
  install a new version of that package.  Well now the esoteric part.
  What about extending the "check process" syntax as followed:

    CHECK PROCESS name [PIDFILE file|PGREP options regex]
 *

It looks like an interesting idea but it also has a certain hacking flavor and gives me flashback to my first monit script 20 years ago :-) i.e. "if [`ps -aux|egrep $name |wc -l` -gt 1 ] ; then .. else ..; fi" But since we can use our C code to scan /proc or similar on BSD, it's not too bad. However my ideal solution for an alternative to pidfiles, which I also have mentioned before, is that monit actually start the process it should monitor and use e.g. signals to watch child processes status and restart them as needed. Much like init(8) does today. This solution is probably much harder to implement but IMHO has a cleaner design. Just my $0.002. If I should vote for your suggestion I think it would be [-]0. I can absolutely see how it may be useful and I don't have any good arguments against it other than my stomach feeling which anyway often is proved to be wrong :-)

* Has someone already tried the allow network patch I have posted some
  weeks ago. Well it's a security critical part, so I won't sync it
  unless it tested and read through by a couple of people.

Ooops, I don't think I got that one? I was switching between machines some time ago and think I missed that. Could you please resend the patch to our common mail-address, monitgroup at tildeslash.com.

So long folks... I gotta go on working,

Do you work on your Ph.D.? I seem to remember you mentioned it before or am I wrong?
--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland