url content checking / monitoring

From: alex black
Subject: url content checking / monitoring
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 11:12:11 -0800

hey all,

this continues an off-list discussion on the matter - first I am very happy (since monit already does nearly everything I need) that you guys are interested in doing this:

This syntax proposed by martin:

 check host myhost with address 192.168.1.1
    if failed url http://user:address@hidden:8080/index.php
[and content {contains|notcontains|equals|notequal} "^my regular*expression$"]
      [with checksum 8f7f419955cefa0b33a2ba316cba3659]
      then alert

Assumptions:

-this could be made to work without an IP address specification (so as to check that DNS is functioning as well :) (very minor and ignorable) -this would work with apache virtualhosts which rely on the hostname in the request to determine what content to serve (client would be curl or similar?) -checksum would be of the return payload from the HTTP transaction (an MD5sum of a curl download? - this would be AWESOME - documentation would need to clearly state the process used to generate the checksum (I've had problems with varying md5 implementations before :P)

If so, this is _EXACTLY_ what I need and would be _fantastic_ to have on my machine. I'd happily donate and if you guys need help with cuter graphics I'm up for it :)

best,

_a

--
alex black