it scares me a bit...

From: Vlada Macek
Subject: it scares me a bit...
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 18:18:20 +0100

Hi guys,

I just like to tell you that Michael Shigorin is not the only one here
with such concerns. There were some intentions to use monit as a core
service started/stopper, replacement for init. Although I don't use it
this way, I liked to think that I use a tool with such big ambitions...

Now I'm afraid we are slighly diverging from the spirit of good unix
tool. IIRC, such tool is actually not designed to be the swiss army
knife -- to open you every can. Unix is the collection of simple tools
that wisely interact to fulfil whatever the user needs. Every tool does
only one thing and does it perfectly, being modifiable by reasonable
options.

I do not agree the project must be added features all-the-time to be
considered alive. There will be bugs to fix or existing design
imperfections to refine. I would eventually welcome the statement on the
project page "We, the developers, think the work is done. This project
is feature-full and there are no known bugs. The development is closed,
until you find one. Happy using."

I consider such moment to be great success, not the death. There are so
many other goals in the world, that can be achieved...

With this post I do not want to touch anyone, I just beg the
responsible. Please, always think hard before you accept new ideas, have
no mercy. Get the lot of user feedback on the topic first. You may make
one or two users happy with the feature, but things get more difficult
for the rest of the community from that moment! Also newscomers will
have it harder to read the docs, many more wont manage it...

Simplicity is the key.

I hope someone gets me.

Thanks for monit.

--

\//\/\
(Sometimes credited as 1494 F8DD 6379 4CD7 E7E3 1FC9 D750 4243 1F05 9424.)