Re: it scares me a bit...

From: alex black
Subject: Re: it scares me a bit...
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:04:05 -0800

"Remote page grepping" feature you originally proposed. Even armed
with this feature, you will not be able to check that your dynamic
content is served properly. For these purposes I propose you to create
some clever self-diagnostics script on the remote web server, which
e.g. checks the database backend, does some queries etc., and if all
is okay, returns the content with a known checksum. This output may
again be checked by monit's existing facility.

If you were to create a script (for example) on your dynamic site that reported if the database connection was OK then you could checksum the result (OK or ERROR etc) (thought I'd rather do a grep, much more flexible). If however you wanted to check that no error messages were coming up on some pages it would be extremely helpful to have a content grep. Also - checksumming a whole http return is useless if you have randomly selected content presented on a page from a database - so again it's very useful to be able to search content to verify that no errors are occurring.

By self-diagnostics web script you will be able to do checks that will
by far exceed monit's abilities (with grepping included!),

Indeed, if I have a self-diagnostics web script _combined_ with monit and grepping, I have the ultimate solution.

just
because it will be written by you and only you exactly know what to
check. As a cherry on a cream, you can make a script output human
readable status page. Once it's checksum changes, monit alerts and
anyone can peek with a browser and see what is wrong in detail. Monit
tells you only "Bad, but I'm trying, man...".

Monit, unlike any script that I write, has the ability to restart apache in an attempt to correct the problem. It also has all of the notification, and the nice file format built in.

best,

_alex