Re: it scares me a bit...

From: Vlada Macek
Subject: Re: it scares me a bit...
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:00:53 +0100

alex black wrote:

> If however you wanted to check that no error messages were coming up
> on some pages it would be extremely helpful to have a content grep.
> Also - checksumming a whole http return is useless if you have
> randomly selected content presented on a page from a database - so
> again it's very useful to be able to search content to verify that no
> errors are occurring.

You're going to use monit's content inspection feature to search for
every possible error message that may occur in every possible remote web
script? You cannot regexp for anything else, since you mentioned random
content to be good. Pretty laborious. Just a thought: how would you
differentiate these checks in your webserver logs and how would you undo
changes possibly made to the database?

I'm afraid you are missing the concept a bit, monit is not here to debug
your scripts. In case some error occurs in a program, such exception
should be catched by the unified log mechanism, stored for developer
restrospection and/or the admin should be alerted (via monit possibly).
Then no addition checks are needed.

I do not wish to start any flaming, just wondering. Please take it easy.
>From my side there is no need to continue in this topic.

Martin Pala pointed out that monit already does the content regexp
inspection. Although it is IMHO simpler case than regexping arbitrary
document, I'm quiet now. I also realized my mistake with "linking
another library to monit", since regex is already linked with glibc
(which case I care most).

Have a nice day,

--

\//\/\
(Sometimes credited as 1494 F8DD 6379 4CD7 E7E3 1FC9 D750 4243 1F05 9424.)