Re: Large-file support

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Large-file support
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 18:21:37 +0200

On 25. jun. 2006, at 07.12, Will Bryant wrote:

Comments on this patch?

I think the format specifier changes are the most likely source of
trouble, as they require that the libc supports %llu.  AFAIK this is
true for all of the supported platforms, but I'm really only familiar
with glibc's implementation.  Similarly, my patch requires that
compilers support 'long long' types, but my understanding is that that's
been the case in all the usual compilers for some time.

long long is not part of C89 as far as I can see and will result in a syntax error. I'm not sure, but suspect that C89 still is in use e.g. on embedded systems and on old linux systems. On the other hand your patch address a common problem on newer systems (when did Linux get large file support, 2.4 or 2.6 BTW?). A workaround could be to do a typedef or a macro #define depending on the compiler and libc. What do you think? Could you give it a stab?

Ps. other than make it conform to C89, I'm in favor of applying your patch.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland