Re: [monit-dev] feature

From: rory
Subject: Re: [monit-dev] feature
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:58:30 -0700

In our situation, we have our software on an nfs-repository. My monit startup scripts are dynamically generated via a config file that maps services to hostnames. Thus my "upgrade" doesn't deal with copying binaries, rather it just has to manage the symlinks in my /etc/rc.d/init.d space. I already have all the tools to do this, I just want a consistent entry point.

m|monit already has the necessary machinery to extend it to be very useful in this case. For my test environments, which I actually run and develop on, I've exceeded my screen size to window number ratio. I can no longer have a window for each machine I have to personally manage fit on one desktop and be readable/useful. Thus, it's time to implement a solution which no longer requires me to be logged into the machines. 8-)

From a security standpoint, if you don't have the directive, it wouldn't be enabled. 8-)

Martin Pala wrote:
We've been thinking about almost the same functionality for managing monit upgrades from m/monit.

M/Monit can have repository of various monit binaries (various versions and platforms) and it could be easily to centrally manage monit agents from M/Monit this way (upgrade monit with one click).

There is also security aspect of the possibility to replace the binary on server (whether monit or different application) has to be super-safe otherwise it could be security risk. It should be possible to disable it at compile time and it should be disabled by default plus good documentation and explanation of security related issues needs to be added.

If you want to work on this functionality for monit, it could be interesting :)

Thanks :)
Martin

rory wrote:
I'm implementing a feature locally, and was wondering what the reaction would be for me to implement it in the main source.

I'm planning on using m|monit and monit as a service console for our production service. Besides just stop/start/monitor, I also want to use it to trigger updates of the running service. To do so, I plan on adding an action to monit that would let me execute a script. Note that this is not the same as execute script on alert, this is on the same level as start/stop/etc.

So, is anyone in favor of me putting it into the main source, or should I just maintain it separately?