Re: [monit-dev] monitrc doesnt exist

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: [monit-dev] monitrc doesnt exist
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:26:19 +0200

On 13. juni. 2008, at 13.48, pierrick grasland wrote:

It's a change made previously, which remove /etc/monit/monitrc from default location. So, it's not bug (but I can't find in the changelog when it was made (somewhere between 4.8.2 and 4.10). When using debian etch package, /etc/monit/monitrc was allowed, but when I compile it, it was not, and I search for it.

This was introduced in 4.10. The change-log entry is

* Allow to set the location of monitrc using the 'configure -- sysconfdir'
  option during monit compilation. Thanks to Klaus Heinz for patch.

AFAIK this was a patch provided by a package maintainer to allow setting the system location of the monitrc control file.

Brian Candler is right about that the same monitrc location code[1] is used with or without the -t switch to monit. So the OP's report that monit -t works but not monit does not seem possible, unless a pre- packaged version of monit where used with some internal changes.

[1] See file.c:File_findControlFile()