Re: [monit-dev] Monit daemon process exiting

From: Louis R. Marascio
Subject: Re: [monit-dev] Monit daemon process exiting
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 16:06:32 -0600

Jan-Henrik Haukeland <address@hidden> wrote:
Considering your blog post http://www.fitnr.com/archives/2008/09/thats-a-dilly-of-a-pickle.html Its amazing how you choose to report this problem :-) It would be great if you could follow your own advise and give us a little bit more to work on. E.g. a gdb or trace investigation, your monitrc file etc.

Surprising that you're somehow able to intuit  the level of
troubleshooting I've already done? I'm impressed. The point of the email
was to figure out what more might be needed to troubleshoot the problem.

Anyway, here is my monit configuration if it might help folks
troubleshoot. I'm happy to provide whatever data is requested. The log
files show no sign of monit exiting.

Monit is exiting silently, there are no core files, at least I have not
found any. The log files and state files are present in the correct
place.

I launch monit as follows:

    monit -v -c /path/to/my/monit.conf

My primary monit configuration file is:

    set daemon 120
    set logfile /path/to/my/logfile.log
    set statefile /path/to/my/statefile.state
    set pidfile /path/to/my/pidfile.pid

    set httpd port 13999
      allow localhost

    include /path/to/config/dir/monit.d/*

There are three files in the 'monit.d' directory. They each look pretty
much like this:

    check process process-1 with pidfile /path/to/a/pidfile-1.pid start
    program = "/path/to/my/startprogram" stop program =
    "/path/to/my/stopprogram" if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout
    group mygroup
Each of the three files basically changes the process and pidfile name,
along with some command line arguments in the stop & start program
options.

Louis

--
Louis R. Marascio - www.fitnr.com