[monit-dev] Feature suggestion: SNMP support in Monit

From: Lior Okman
Subject: [monit-dev] Feature suggestion: SNMP support in Monit
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 07:47:10 +0300

Hi,

It seems to me that Monit is missing the ability to be queried via SNMP about the state of its monitored services and use SNMP traps or notifications as alerts.

I'm going to develop support for this, using Net-SNMP's AgentX support with Monit. Monit would become an SNMP subagent, and if the Net-SNMP snmpd daemon is running on the same host then the SNMP support would be enable-able.

The RC file would gain one global "set" directive: "set snmp", that would enable SNMP support in Monit. Setting just this would allow Monit to be queried about the services it currently has monitored.

Additionally, I am going to change the "alert" statement, so that in addition to an email you can set a trap or notification OID, and if that alert is to be triggered, then an appropriate SNMP trap/notification would be sent. Something along the lines of:

ALERT TRAP oid [ [NOT] {events}] [REMINDER number]

Since Monit would be a subagent, the SNMP specific configuration (community strings, security settings, etc) would be configured in the local SNMPD daemon configuration file.

I still haven't got a MIB - more about this later.

Comments?

Regards,
Lior