[monit-dev] Systemd unit file (also: repo?)

From: Maxim Burgerhout
Subject: [monit-dev] Systemd unit file (also: repo?)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 00:24:38 +0100

Hi Monit devs,

My name is Maxim Burgerhout and I am one of the people maintaining the Monit
package for Fedora. I recently pushed a new version of Monit to our
repositories for what will become Fedora 17. This was the first time I included
a systemd unit file [1] for Monit in the RPM.

As systemd eventually aims to take away some of the existing differences
between distributions (i.e. the way daemon startup is handled), systemd related
packaging guidelines for Fedora suggest pushing the unit file into the upstream
tarball [2].

I have attached the unit file Fedora 17 will ship for Monit 5.3.2. As systemd
is being adopted by several of the major distributions at least (Fedora,
OpenSUSE, Arch), I hope you will be able to ship this unit file (or an
alteration of it) in future releases of Monit.

I wrote the unit file treating Monit as it had been started from init, because
there is an issue with Monit forking after startup and changing it's PID when
using systemd. The PID file will have the pre-fork PID in it and systemd will
assume the process is exiting (deactivating). well, at least in my tests.

Also, am I correct in assuming the public source code repository will return
when the rewrite is finished? In all honesty: I am not sure I like the whole
development happening behind closed doors. I feel it takes away the 'open' in
'open source'.

Nevertheless: thanks for making a handy tool to monitor my boxes with! :)

Kind regards,

Maxim Burgerhout

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd
[2]