Re: [monit-dev] Systemd unit file (also: repo?)

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit-dev] Systemd unit file (also: repo?)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:03:23 +0100

On Jan 11, 2012, at 11:42 PM, Maxim Burgerhout wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:25:32PM +0100, Martin Pala wrote:
>>
>> thanks for the monit.service file, we can include it to monit contributions
>> as an template.
>>
>> According to systemd documentation you should also include the "PIDFile="
>> option if the type is set to "forking" => something like this should be also
>> added to the service file so systemd will be able to detect if the daemon
>> exited:
>>
>> PIDFile=/var/run/monit.pid
>>
>> The systemd documentation also mentions the preference of "simple" type over
>> "forking" - i think monit should work fine with it, you just need to add the
>> "-I" option (capital "i"), so monit won't daemonize (this can be also used
>> when monit is started from traditional sysv init):
>>
>> ExecStart=/usr/bin/monit -I
>>

>> Please can you try the following service file? (using simple type with the
>> -I option):
>>
>> --8<--
>> [Unit]
>> Description=Pro-active monitoring utility for unix systems
>> After=network.target
>>
>> [Service]
>> Type=simple
>> ExecStart=/usr/bin/monit -I
>> ExecStop=/usr/bin/monit quit
>> ExecReload=/usr/bin/monit reload
>>
>> [Install]
>> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>> --8<--
>
> That'll work nicely :) It is nearly the same as the monit.service file I
> attached to my first email to the list!
>
> Regards,
>
> Maxim

I have tested the monit.service on FC16 - works fine, added some comments to
it. The file is part of the distribution now (contrib/monit.service), the path
in the monit template is set to /usr/local/bin/monit where it installs by
default. Also the wiki-howto entry was created which describes the systemd
setup for monit:

http://mmonit.com/wiki/Monit/Systemd

Thanks for the file Maxim :)

Regards,