Re: making DEBs

From: Mark Ferlatte
Subject: Re: making DEBs
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:24:29 -0700

Vlada Macek said on Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 06:02:13PM +0200:
> Hi ppl,
>
> I'm new to Debian and I really would like to know, how to easily make
> Debian package of monit. I have several servers on Woody and would like
> to distribute new versions of compiled software among them.
>
> On RedHat I was using `checkinstall' a wonderfull utility which was
> making RPM packages easily and automatically. Is it possible to use it
> on Debian without a hassle?

Monit is already packaged for Debian; if you're running Debian stable, you're
better off downloading the Debian package source from unstable, and rebuilding
it on your stable installation than trying to make your own package from
scratch.  The Debian mailing list archives and website explain how to do this,
I think.