Re: clamav-milter always detected not running

From: afraz
Subject: Re: clamav-milter always detected not running
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 13:54:53 +0000

On Saturday 19 November 2005 10:46, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:
> 1) I know you said you tested the pid but please do this, ps -p $
> (cat /var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.pid) to make sure the process is
> running. For good measure, also do netstat -alpn to check that the
> clamav unix-socket is there and up.

Yup, it's running. And netstat reports that it's listening.

> 2) Make sure that the user running monit can read the content of the
> pid file /var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.pid

Root is running monit, so presumably the pid file is readable by the monit
process.

> 3) Stop monit and try to run once in debug mode, using: 'monit -Iv
> validate' Do this when you are certain that clamav-milter is running
> (see 1) and monit can read the pid file. You should see debug info
> output to the console. Maybe this will throw some light on the
> problem? Post the output to this list if monit is really trying to
> start clamav again even if 1) show that it is running.

Here you go. For the sake of brevity I've cut out the other checks like bind,
sendmail, etc., save cron, so there's an example of one that's working fine
(the cut out bits are denoted with "...").

-- BEGIN DEBUG OUTPUT --
Runtime constants:
 Control file       = /etc/monit/monitrc
 Log file           = /var/log/monit
 Pid file           = /var/run/monit.pid
 Debug              = True
 Log                = True
 Use syslog         = False
 Is Daemon          = True
 Use process engine = True
 Poll time          = 120 seconds
 Mail server(s)     = 127.0.0.1
 Mail from          = (not defined)
 Mail subject       = (not defined)
 Mail message       = (not defined)
 Start monit httpd  = False
 Alert mail to      = root@<my local domain>
 Alert on           = All events

The service list contains the following entries:

Process Name          = cron
 Group                = system
 Pid file             = /var/run/crond.pid
 Monitoring mode      = active
 Start program        = /etc/init.d/cron start
 Stop program         = /etc/init.d/cron stop
 Depends on Service   = cron_bin
 Depends on Service   = cron_init
 Pid                  = if changed then alert
 Ppid                 = if changed then alert

File Name             = cron_init
 Group                = system
 Path                 = /etc/init.d/cron
 Monitoring mode      = active

File Name             = cron_bin
 Group                = system
 Path                 = /usr/sbin/cron
 Monitoring mode      = active

Process Name          = clamav-milter
 Group                = virus
 Pid file             = /var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.pid
 Monitoring mode      = active
 Start program        = /etc/init.d/clamav-milter start
 Stop program         = /etc/init.d/clamav-milter stop
 Depends on Service   = clamav-milter_bin
 Depends on Service   = clamav-milter_init
 Pid                  = if changed then alert
 Ppid                 = if changed then alert
 Unix Socket          = if failed /var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.ctl [protocol
DEFAULT] with timeout 5 seconds then restart else if recovered then alert

File Name             = clamav-milter_init
 Group                = virus
 Path                 = /etc/init.d/clamav-milter
 Monitoring mode      = active

File Name             = clamav-milter_bin
 Group                = virus
 Path                 = /usr/sbin/clamav-milter
 Monitoring mode      = active

Starting monit daemon
'system' load average [0.00][0.00][0.00]
'system' memory usage 10.1% [210244 kB]
'system' cpu usage 0.0%us 0.0%sy 0.0%wa
'sendmail' zombie check passed [status_flag=0000]
'sendmail' succeeded connecting to INET[localhost:25]
'sendmail' succeeded testing protocol [SMTP] at INET[localhost:25]
'saslauthd' zombie check passed [status_flag=0000]
'freshclam' zombie check passed [status_flag=0000]
'clamav-milter' process is not running
Does not exist notification is sent to root@<my local domain>
'clamav-milter' trying to restart
Monitoring disabled -- service clamav-milter
'clamav-milter' start: /etc/init.d/clamav-milter
Starting Sendmail milter plugin for ClamAV: /usr/sbin/clamav-milter already
running.
clamav-milter
Monitoring enabled -- service clamav-milter
'bind' zombie check passed [status_flag=0000]
'bind' succeeded connecting to INET[127.0.0.1:53]
'bind' succeeded testing protocol [DEFAULT] at INET[127.0.0.1:53]
'bind' succeeded connecting to INET[127.0.0.1:53]
'bind' succeeded testing protocol [DEFAULT] at INET[127.0.0.1:53]
'apache' zombie check passed [status_flag=0000]
'apache' succeeded connecting to INET[127.0.0.1:80]
'apache' succeeded testing protocol [HTTP] at INET[127.0.0.1:80]
'sshd' zombie check passed [status_flag=0000]
'sshd' succeeded connecting to INET[127.0.0.1:22]
'sshd' succeeded testing protocol [SSH] at INET[127.0.0.1:22]
'cron' zombie check passed [status_flag=0000]
monit daemon with pid [3771] killed

<after a while I quit the monit process here>

'clamav-milter' failed to start
Execution failed notification is sent to root@<my local domain>

-- END DEBUG OUTPUT --

On Saturday 19 November 2005 10:46, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:
> 1) I know you said you tested the pid but please do this, ps -p $
> (cat /var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.pid) to make sure the process is
> running. For good measure, also do netstat -alpn to check that the
> clamav unix-socket is there and up.
>
> 2) Make sure that the user running monit can read the content of the
> pid file /var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.pid
>
> 3) Stop monit and try to run once in debug mode, using: 'monit -Iv
> validate' Do this when you are certain that clamav-milter is running
> (see 1) and monit can read the pid file. You should see debug info
> output to the console. Maybe this will throw some light on the
> problem? Post the output to this list if monit is really trying to
> start clamav again even if 1) show that it is running.
>
> On 18. nov. 2005, at 16.48, afraz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I subscribed to the list just to ask this question, I hope that's okay
> > (neither Google nor the archives could help).
> >
> > I'm running clamav-milter and want to monitor it with monit. Here
> > is what I'm
> > using;
> >
> > -- BEGIN CONFIG --
> > check process clamav-milter with pidfile /var/run/clamav/clamav-
> > milter.pid
> >     start program = "/etc/init.d/clamav-milter start"
> >     stop  program = "/etc/init.d/clamav-milter stop"
> >     if failed unix /var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.ctl then restart
> >     group virus
> >     depends clamav-milter_init
> >     depends clamav-milter_bin
> >
> > check file clamav-milter_init with path /etc/init.d/clamav-milter
> >     group virus
> >
> > check file clamav-milter_bin with path /usr/sbin/clamav-milter
> >     group virus
> > -- END CONFIG --
> >
> > monit tells me that clamav-milter is not running and tries to
> > restart it;
> >
> > [GMT Nov 18 14:29:19] 'clamav-milter' process is not running
> > [GMT Nov 18 14:29:19] 'clamav-milter' trying to restart
> > [GMT Nov 18 14:29:19] 'clamav-milter' start: /etc/init.d/clamav-milter
> >
> > It's unsuccessful in doing so (because it's already running). It
> > seems that
> > monit can't see clamav-milter running for some reason.
> >
> > Obviously I've checked to make sure "/var/run/clamav/clamav-
> > milter.pid" is
> > really the correct PID, etc. Any help solving this would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > All other monitoring (eg. bind9, apache, sendmail, et. al.) is
> > working fine
> > (except openntpd which apparently can't be monitored because it
> > doesn't have
> > a PID file?).
> >

> > --
> > afraz "like a simile" ahmadzadeh
>
> --
> Jan-Henrik Haukeland
> Mobil +47 97141255
>

> --

afraz "like a simile" ahmadzadeh
http://www.killerbees.org.uk
AIM: anotherafraz
ICQ: 195650317
Skype: afrazkhan

Please avoid sending me attachments in secret
proprietary formats such as MS Word's .doc format

This e-mail is intended for the addressee shown.
If you are not the addressee, you will immediately
change into the addressee and dispose of the orginal
addressee's body (since having two identical people
introduces reduntancy into the universe). Failure to
change into the addresse may result in nothing
whatsoever happening since e-mail disclaimers are
not legally binding.

However, by reading this e-mail you agree that any
e-mail you send to any of my addresses means that;
 1. I am by definition the intended recipient.
 2. I can do whatever I like with the contents of
    your e-mails you send me.
 3. I rule the school.

Also, you agree to give me some ice-cream. Chocolate
flavor.

Auto-generated fortune:
You have the body of a 19 year old.  Please return it before it gets wrinkled.