icmp failure, but no exec?

From: Mike Jackson
Subject: icmp failure, but no exec?
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 16:57:43 -0700

I'm using monit 4.7 on a FreeBSD 6.0 box. I entered the following rule and
pulled the plug on the server to test this rule (with the hostname and IP
munged):

check host blah with address 123.456.789.12
  if failed icmp type echo count 5 timeout 10 seconds for 3 times within 5
cycles then exec "/usr/local/bin/monit unmonitor bigbrother-client;
/usr/local/bin/monit unmonitor bigbrother-server;
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/bigbrother.sh stop"
    else if passed for 5 cycles then exec "/usr/local/bin/monit monitor
bigbrother-client; /usr/local/bin/monit monitor bigbrother-server;
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/bigbrother.sh start"

After 5 unsuccessful pings cycles, it did nothing. It never exec'ed the listed command, nor did it give any indication why it didn't - no errors or anything. Help?