Re: problem with cpu user on linux, 4.8.2

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: problem with cpu user on linux, 4.8.2
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 18:41:11 +0100

I believe that monit shows correct information ;) It works  this way:

1.) each monit cycle reads the average cpu usage from the /proc/stat (total average across all cores as stated by linux kernel in the first line of the input) 2.) counts the deltas of the user, system, wait and total cpu usage between the current and last cycle and the appropriates percentage

monit is sampling according to the monit cycle length ... the value provides the 'immediate' average for the last cycle.

The difference between 'top' and 'monit' could be in the sampling method. i don't know the exact method which is used in 'top', but some tools, like for example solaris vmstat use the progressive increase to keep the trend and flatten the spikes ... it is based on exponential decay, so even though the load may be at 100%, the tool won't show the real usage immediately.

I'm running monit 4.8.2 on several DL380 with two dual core xeons and don't see any problems regarding the CPU usage statistics.

Martin