Re: how to monitor "too many mysql connections"?

From: Allen Shaw
Subject: Re: how to monitor "too many mysql connections"?
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 22:38:39 -0600

Martin Pala wrote:

In the case that the anonymous account exists and is allowed to connect, monit can detect the 'too many connections' state, since this is different error in later phase then the above described case.

Good point.  Likely I could do this as well:
--8<--
mysql> create database `empty_db`;
mysql> grant usage on `empty_db.*` to ''@'localhost';
--8<--

This way I let monit connect to the server without letting '' @ 'localhost' connect to anything valuable.

Of course, does seem a less elegant solution than one in which I could configure the protocol to connect as a particular user. That way I would not have to do any special configuration on mysql to get monit to check for this problem.

I will test this in a few days (I'm out of the office for Christmas just now) and get back to you.

Thanks, and merry Christmas to you,
Allen

Allen Shaw                        address@hidden
UPF Data Services                              914.826.4622
                            http://www.peacefederation.org