Re: Unable to start program automatically

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Unable to start program automatically
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 17:48:38 +0100

Hi,

you can try to run monit in verbose mode using the -v option ... it should provide more info.

However, to perform process restart, monit requires the start and *stop* programs to be defined, thus you need to add some stop method, otherwise foo restart will fail, for example:

--8<--
  check process foo with pidfile /var/run/foo.pid
      start program = "/usr/bin/foo"
      stop program = "/usr/bin/pkill foo"
--8<--

(the manual start action doesn't require the stop program, thus it works)

Martin

Michel Krämer wrote:
Hi!

I'm running Monit 4.5 on Debian 3.2 (sarge/stable). It's configured properly to monitor lighttpd HTTP server. Now I want to add another simple executable to monitor: /usr/bin/foo

I run the following:
 > monit -d 5
 > killall foo

After 5 seconds, monit notices that foo is not running. The syslog contains the following:

Jan 14 16:16:45 xxx monit[19441]: 'foo' process is not running

After that monit does nothing. It does not start the process automatically. I have to manually call "monit start foo" which works.

My configuration file looks as follows:

check process foo with pidfile /var/run/foo.pid
      start program = "/usr/bin/foo"

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance,
Michel