Re: Running monit without http and apache

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Running monit without http and apache
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 23:46:29 +0200

Monit CLI uses the http to communicate with the monit daemon and get the data.

The only CLI command which will provide the results and doesn't require the http interface is 'monit validate' which runs the tests in the CLI process context.

Martin

David Pratt wrote:
Hi, I am investigating monitoring solutions and have been reading monit documentation. I am seeking a pure command line utility for monitoring - from what I have read, monit is quite close to what I have in mind.

I do not want the overhead or potential security issues that can come from another framework or web server. I just want to monitor, log, query and collect results from the system so really just interested in the core of what monit can do. I also want some action to be triggered if there is a problem.

I am not certain that monit can be used this way since it seems quite tied to a http interface. Hoping someone can provide clarification as to whether results can be collected (even if it is though a debugging command line interface) without a running web server.

Many thanks

Regards,
David