Re: [monit] Stuck processes?

From: Stan Kaufman
Subject: Re: [monit] Stuck processes?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:17:05 -0700

Ramon Miguel M. Tayag wrote:
Hey everyone,

Is there such a thing as a stuck process?  I'm new to administration
so let me describe what happened:

I had 3 processes runnign for about 4 days, then I uploaded new code
via capistrano.  Capistrano tells monit to restart the 3 processes,
but they all said execution failed.  So I logged into the server and
saw the processes were still running.  That means they were never
killed.

So I kill them manually (using the same commands in the monit config
file), and then get monit to run them, and it's able to start it.  I
then tested monit, and restarted the processes one by one (all via
monit).  They were able to restart fine.

I also did a restart from Capistrano and it restarted fine.

Would you guys know what the problem might be?

Thank you,
Ramon Tayag

I've got no answer but can confirm some oddness here.

I've noticed that sometimes when monit restarts a group (of mongrels plus a separate ar_sendmail process) during a capistrano deploy of a Rails app, the ar_sendmail process gets restarted but the old one isn't terminated -- so that there are now two ar_sendmail processes. This happens only about 1/4 to 1/2 of the time. I usually just kill the obsolete process. The mongrels themselves restart fine.

This appears to be more of a nuisance than a real problem, but I do wonder why the inconsistent results. I've presumed it's due to something strange with ar_sendmail, which has to be modded to work with monit: http://www.lukeludwig.com/blog/articles/2007/12/05/running-ar_sendmail-with-monit

This is with monit 4.10.1. Does monit 5.x change something that might fix this?

Weird....