Re: [monit] Monit Troubles

From: Matt Provenzale
Subject: Re: [monit] Monit Troubles
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 21:43:08 -0600 (CST)

Alright, here's some information on my server for anyone who can help:

OS: Ubuntu 8.04 with a custom kernel (with support for more ram on 32bit)
Proc: 4x Xeon PIII
Ram: 8gb
Monit Version: 5.0 Beta 4

> Your problem may or may not be monit related.  There are many approaches, but
> for starters, debugging
> a system problem is best done by reading the logs.  These however, vary with
> distro.  On the
> production Cent servers I manage, the pertinent ones might be
> "/var/log/messages" and maybe
> "/var/log/maillog".  At home on a mangled Slackware box, the "messages" file
> would instead be "system"
> (IIRC).

Thanks, I've checked my system logs, and am not seeing anything out of the
ordinary. The only thing I see is some warnings about maximum SMTP connections
reached, which is because monit is sending emails out at such a fast volume. I
really don't know whether it would be a system or monit problem, since it just
started out of the blue. I don't know how monit works, but I'm guessing
somewhere there's some queue of alerts to send, and for some reason it's not
clearing itself? I'm not a linux expert so I really don't have a clue.

Thanks for responding helping me out on this.