Re: Monit dependency problem (bug?)

From: drich
Subject: Re: Monit dependency problem (bug?)
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:58:16 -0800

Eric, your reply gave me an idea that I seems to be working. I split my check so that I have a status check for apache and one that only deals with starting/stopping ospf. While I think it's ugly, it appears to do the right thing.

# Special check to shut down ospfd if apache down
check process apache_ospf with pidfile /var/run/httpd.pid
  if does not exist
    then exec "/bin/bash -c 'if [ ! -f /tmp/monit.apachedown ]; then touch /tmp/monit.apachedown; /usr/bin/monit stop ospfd; fi'"
    else if recovered then exec "/bin/bash -c 'rm /tmp/monit.apachedown && /usr/bin/monit monitor ospfd'"
  group ospf
  depends on apache

check process apache with pidfile /var/run/httpd.pid
  start program = "/etc/init.d/httpd start"
  stop program  = "/etc/init.d/httpd stop"
  if failed host localhost port 80 protocol http
     and request "/" then restart
  if children > 50 then restart
  if 2 restarts within 2 cycles then timeout
  group server

I still need to run a few tests to make sure this catches all of the possible failures, but so far so good! It's still a bit chattier than I would like, but that's because I have a "monit monitor server" in my ospfd start script to make sure it can't get started w/o everything else running.

Thanks everyone for the replies, and I look forward to a day when dependencies are "hard" so I can get rid of all of my crufty configs! :)