Re: Monit httpd authentication

From: Nils Steinger
Subject: Re: Monit httpd authentication
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 05:06:05 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 12:36:39AM -0700, flo-schild wrote:
> Is there any way to customise the authentication method for the monit httpd?
>
> I have nothing against HTTP_BASIC at the beginning, but I would rely to
> something a bit more advanced.
>
> Do you know if this is possible?
>
> I would even be interested by building a customised UI for it, but I do not
> know if this is something accessible?

Monit only supports HTTP Basic auth by itself, and that's really all it
needs (with Basic auth being supported by nearly all HTTP clients and
also being secure when used in conjunction with HTTPS).

If you're looking for something more aesthetically pleasing, you could
of course put the Monit web interface behind a reverse proxy and build
something custom that limits access to it: Assuming you're using Apache,
you could have Monit only listen on localhost, use ProxyPass to map
http://example.com/monit to Monit's httpd port on your server, then set
up an auth barrier [1] using something like mod_auth_form [2].
Overall, that should be far easier and more portable than sticking an
additional auth mode and/or interface into Monit's code.

(Disclaimer: I'm using the ProxyPass approach myself, but I haven't used
mod_auth_form so far, so I can guarantee it'll do what you want it to.)

Regards,
Nils

[1]: http://stackoverflow.com/a/7759655/1114687
[2]: https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_auth_form.html