Re: Get monit exit status from the command line

From: Rui Lapa
Subject: Re: Get monit exit status from the command line
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 00:09:31 +0100

1. Using check program

( https://mmonit.com/monit/changes/)
A new environment variable MONIT_PROGRAM_STATUS was added to check program to allow scripts called from exec to access the check programs last exit status.

check program test with path "test.sh blabla" as uid "monkey"
      if status != 0 then exec "error.sh" [repeat every [x] cycle(s)]
      if status = 0 then exec "all_ok.sh" [repeat every [x] cycle(s)]

Check ENV on error.sh exec script! ;)

On exec you can even set a file with the error and check that file exists and/or has content.
PS: Don't know if "monkey" uid is respected though ;)

2. Why not use Monit HTTP API

format can be:
    - text (default)
    - xml (global status only)

All services check:
http://address@hidden:2812/_status?format=xml

Service check:
http://address@hidden:2812/_status?service=sshd (No XML format)

If API supported json support you could use jq... to filter/extract content.

My 10 cents,
    Rui Lapa