monotone-debian

Re: [Monotone-debian] Patch: do not blindly delete /var/lib/monotone on

From: Ludovic Brenta
Subject: Re: [Monotone-debian] Patch: do not blindly delete /var/lib/monotone on purge
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 01:40:55 +0200

Zack Weinberg writes:
>> Zack, looking at net.venge.monotone, I don't see how you create your
>> packages; the latest revision of the debian/ subdirectory also
>> contains source files much later than 0.35.  How do you do it?  Have
>> you got a private database for the debian scripts?  I would have
>> expected n.v.m to have several heads, one of which a direct descendent
>> of t:monotone-0.35, with only changes to the Debian scripts.
>
> Presently, the content of the Debian diff is not under version
> control.  Not good, I know, but given that we are modifying
> Makefile.in (which is in the tarball, but not in the database) I can't
> think of a good way around it.  I merge all changes up to head of
> n.v.m, as far as they make sense.  Starting with 0.36 (we won't have
> to modify Makefile.in in 0.36) I plan to make a branch to track the
> contents of the diff.  (Not just an anonymous head on n.v.m - that's
> abnormal usage and would trip up everyone else.)

I agree that a different branch would be appropriate.

> Since the topic has come up, I wonder if we ought to do as is
> recommended in various places, and prune the debian/ directory out of
> the tarball altogether, possibly even take it off n.v.m.

I use monotone to keep all my Debian packages' scripts.  I do not put
the upstream tarballs in Monotone, only the scripts and patches, which
I manage with quilt.  See http://www.ada-france.org/article131.html
and http://www.ada-france.org/viewmtn.  Maybe a good idea would be a
new branch, org.debian.monotone, containing only the debian/
subdirectory and any patches necessary?

>> I'm ready to upload with the patch below.  Any objections?  Otherwise,
>> please apply it for future uploads.
>
> Go ahead.  I'll incorporate into my local copy and forward-merge to
> n.v.m later today.

Uploaded.

--
Ludovic Brenta.