Re: [Monotone-devel] Error in function 9 during a post

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Error in function 9 during a post
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:02:13 -0800

graydon hoare wrote:
Kevin Smith <address@hidden> writes:

But monotone post data is already "chunked" into packets, so have you
considered just posting each packet individually? Aside from the sheer
simplicity that would bring to the code and design, it would also make
it trivial to restart if the connection broke in the middle of the
post.

each chunk is signed to confirm the sender is allowed to post. many
packets are only ~100 bytes. for a large post (thousands of packets)
all that signing is no good (plus, signatures are nontrivially large
themselves)

How about an initial implementation where one chunk==one packet, and later optimize it to create multi-packet chunks? I think I could do the one-packet-per-chunk version.

a single large packet, I think, will go as a single large
chunk. otherwise the chunks have to survive across HTTP transactions
on the server, in some temporary pen, and that complicates things
rather a lot.

Ouch. Doesn't that mean that I would never be able to post a single 1.1 megabyte file to my boa depot? Hard limits are bad, and that one seems unacceptable. The 16 mb db row thing is bad enough, but I figure that could always be solved later by having a multi-row object.

It seems like we need the ability to split a packet into smaller bits.
Unless we can split large packets into multiple smaller packets, it would mean keeping state on the server. Having done just that, I know it's a pain, but it can be done. Can we split packets into sub-packets?

Kevin