[Monotone-devel] Re: remove depot

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: remove depot
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 14:46:25 -0500

Zack Weinberg wrote:

I think this is a good idea, it makes depots (databases) more
self-contained.

I'd rather *not* have to confirm fingerprints on update, though - just don't assign any trust to that key until the user says so in a
separate operation.

ok. I've been worried about the UI getting too friendly with the idea of "identifying" keys by their (user chosen) keyname anyways, rather than a real fingerprint. I'll make the change you suggest concurrently with "installing a hook to evaluate trust purely in terms of fingerprints".

alas, this means we'll need Yet Another Runtime Cache (there are several static caches hidden in keys.cc and certs.cc already) to keep execution times reasonable for crypto-using operations. I think I'm going to have to make an explicit cache object and stick it on the side of struct app_state.

-graydon