Re: Re: [Monotone-devel] Problem with 'monotone genkey <ID>'... newbie?

From: Will
Subject: Re: Re: [Monotone-devel] Problem with 'monotone genkey <ID>'... newbie?
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:17:46 +0000

Thanks, but I found this message after searching with some alternative wordings, and just before I received your reply:

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/monotone-devel/2003-11/msg00153.html

Peter Simons wrote:

> I have trouble running monotone, because the compiled binary seems > to do nasty things with the stack. I can create a database, but > when I try to generate a key, GCC's stack-protector will kill the > process. I compiled a binary with stack protection disabled, but > still it fails at the same point:

there are some known (and, alas, of unknown reason) problems with
crypto++, when build with optimization above -O0, on some versions of
GCC. try building witih -O0.

-graydon

And it did work.  Thanks for the reply, though.

Is 'crypto++' part of Monotone or Boost -- I think I compiled Boost with '-O2', you see. It still appears to work, but if it's going to kick up some other hard-to-find bugs...

--
Will

On Sat, Dec 13 2003 at 15:58:28 -0800, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 10:37:22PM +0000, Will Robertson wrote:
>  Anyway, I'm having a strange problem with it on Gentoo Linux.
>  I have compiled it against Boost 1.30.2 successfully using a
> default config, and been able to successfully 'db init', but
> 'genkey' against this init'd db appears to hang:

Does recompiling without optimization help?  I ran into some
optimization-triggered bug in crypto++ a while ago, and I don't think
anyone got around to tracking it down yet...