Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: current multiple heads (was Re: write access to

From: Joel Rosdahl
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: current multiple heads (was Re: write access to my public server)
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 12:03:45 +0200

graydon hoare <address@hidden> writes:

> graydon hoare wrote:
>
>>  - rework the concept of disapproval to "do something else". for
>>    example,
>
> [...]
> the controlled method is very simple: a file called .mt-nonce goes in
> the working copy
> [...]
>
> this makes the "disapprove" command relatively simple: rather than
> trying to "undo" things in the ancestry graph, disapproving A->B
> means making an edge B->A' where A' == A, only with a bumped
> .mt-nonce file. there is historical *record* of your disapproval,
> and in order to return to a single head, any subsequent merging
> activity has to integrate your disapproval (which is essentially
> "reverting").

This solution (although a bit kludgy) feels like a big improvement to
me, not only because it solves the problem better but also because its
consequences are more obvious than those of the current disapproval
mechanism. I think that one of Monotone's selling points is and should
be that its fundamental concepts of versioning, branching, merging,
etc are easy to understand. (This is what motivates me to look at
Monotone instead of using e.g. Arch.)

        Regards,
        Joel

--
Joel Rosdahl <address@hidden>
Key BB845E97; fingerprint 9F4B D780 6EF4 5700 778D  8B22 0064 F9FF BB84 5E97