Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone ID shortener

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone ID shortener
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 09:07:16 +0200

Nathan Myers schrieb:
On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 05:40:22PM +0200, Christof Petig wrote:

monoshort "monotone --db monotone.db" > short.sed

PS: No, _I_ did _not_ design the semantics of underflow/uflow, I only struggled to implement them.

Probably you would do better to extract the file descriptor from the
FILE returned by popen, and then attach a buffering streambuf to it.

That's what I did in the 2.95 days. But I don't see any standard way to get a stream from the file number. Reading more closely i think you proposed to extract some internal data structure from FILE which (on Gnu libc systems) is used to construct a streambuf?

(It probably would be little more than two orders of magnitude faster.)

I don't see that that would be a lot faster since FILE* handles buffering for me. But perhaps a more sophisticated savailcount permits optimizations like reading more characters at once.

What you really want, most likely, is Jonathan Wakely's streambuf equivalent to popen that attaches streambufs instead of FILE*s. In the meantime, here are some fd streambufs and streams.

You are right. Why did I not find them the last time I looked for it :-( ?

BTW: What is the license of the code you sent to me? May I add it to a GPL library?

   Christof