[Monotone-devel] arch and monotone solutions

From: Adam Logghe
Subject: [Monotone-devel] arch and monotone solutions
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 16:31:12 -0700

In browsing the arch mail archives I found this wonderful question that
was really pertinent to my own explorations of monotone.

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2004-05/msg00391.html

I have begun my exploration of monotone by moving some of my home
projects into it and trying to do some basic synchronization with my
multiple unix home directories and my windows laptop.

I would note in passing that his phrase "I am not sure though,
how to exactly set this up, mostly due to an overwhelming choice in
constructs." has some direct bearing on why I'm exploring monotone
rather than arch these days.

I view Andrzej's question and requirements to be really one of the first
steps in getting comfortable with a new version control system. Yet the
forward even among the respondents that are long experienced with Arch.

To my happy relief I'm finding that my answer with monotone is much
simpler than what appears to be the final "best answer" for arch.

What I did was to create a monotone database called adambits.db. I
copied several projects into it with different branches. I then
physically copied the db file to the other 2 hosts, intending that the
public and private key pairs should be the same from all my own hosts. I
started a netsync server on the third host and then did push+pulls of
projects that I added on the different hosts.

So far this is working quite nicely though I haven't been very creative
in my testcases so far.

Is this solution "approved" and are there any subtleties that may
disrupt my happy ease with it?

Adam