Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Anybody working on SSH (aka stdin/stdout) suppo

From: Nico -telmich- Schottelius
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Anybody working on SSH (aka stdin/stdout) support for netsync
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 11:05:48 +0200

Christof Petig [Tue, May 25, 2004 at 10:01:15AM +0200]:
> Christof Petig schrieb:
> >I'm currently meditating on how to tell monotone's netsync that it
> >should read from stdin.

I didn't understand you exaclty: Do you want to add ssh to monotone
or do you want to pipe monotones net traffic through ssh?

I think the first would be an overkill / work in the wrong place.

> >Any better ideas than my favorite:
> >
> >monotone --ssh [--key ""] pull address@hidden:port]/db_path
> >collection ...
> >monotone --ssh serve collection ...
>
> Giving it more thinking (and sleep) I like
>
> monotone [--key ""] pull ssh:address@hidden:port]/db_path
> collection ...
> monotone serve - collection

That's much nicer imho, as you specify it now as a part of
pull and not make an additional option.

> Does anybody think that two leading slashes should be accepted (and
> ignored) like in ssh://venge.net/var/lib/monotone.db instead of
> ssh:venge.net/var/lib/monotone.db ? Looking at it both seem equally valid.

When I recieve such a question I simply think this way:

- does it help me in any way? -> minimal
- does it add (redundant) code? -> yes
- is it maximal a 'nice to have'? -> yes

Well, ssh:// would be standard uri syntax, but imho the leading two
slashes don't improve readability nor do they help much to understand
what I do.

I vote for the first way (ssh:address@hidden:port]/db_path).

Just my 3.91 Pfennig,

Nico

--
Keep it simple & stupid, use what's available.
pgp: 8D0E E27A          | Nico Schottelius